As part of a joint initiative on tackling plastic waste pollution in Pakistan,
A total of seven well noted speakers and one performer participated in the event curating ideas on various topics that can possibly influence or shape our future, including environment and plastic waste management.
“This is a perfect example of establishing social partnerships to protect our combined future, with companies like
More than 500 guests attended the event, carefully selected out of the 1,500+ applications received by TEDxLahore. While the response was overwhelming, a closed event like this allowed the right size of audience to network with all fellow guests and speakers - inspiring young minds with ideas and success stories. Through this partnership,
Speaking about the event, Hammad Naqi Khan, Director General, WWF-Pakistan said, “This year's theme of TEDxLahore is Imagined Futures, which is relevant to the work we are doing for the past five decades in promoting environmental education and awareness as one of the key components of achieving our mission of conserving the environment in Pakistan. Looking back at how we have shaped the narrative of the environmental debate in the country reiterates the importance of platforms like TEDx.” He added that TEDx events share ideas, covering a broad spectrum from science to business to global issues. “Through such events, we aim to motivate people to think about nature conservation and explore ideas in protecting the Earth’s natural resources for a sustainable future.”
Speakers who delivered talks at the event included:
1. Dr. Mehr Nigar; She talked about her journey on becoming an ‘accidental environmentalist’ since she experienced the environmental abuse of her hometown in Murree. She advocated in favour of PET recycling and how it’s revolutionized the medical equipment and textile industry etc.
2. Naheed Mooraj; Naheed talked about how we need to be responsible citizens and reduce plastic waste, which starts with waste segregation at household level.
3. Dr. Anis; Dr. Anis, a dentist by profession, talked about his journey on becoming the Wildlife Guard in Islamabad Wildlife Management Board. His passion for rescuing certain species in Pakistan has earned him massive respect and he recently hosted the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their visit to Pakistan. He advocated for protection of our rivers and lakes through safe disposal of waste.
4. Uzair Zaheer Khan; Uzair spoke about how animation can be used as a tool to create awareness at school level for conservation of environment. Animation is a tool of education that is highly underrated, and Uzair is working hard to push it in the mainstream curriculum of schools.
5. Akbar Nasir Khan
6. Maarya Rehman
8. Usman Malik
Talking about the event, Irteza Ubaid, Curator at TEDxLahore said, “In its tenth year, TEDxLahore is not only the oldest running TEDx event in Pakistan, but also, one of the first few TEDx events globally. Organized under license by TED, TEDxLahore has been instrumental in giving a platform to the community to share their ideas and stories and have successfully helped shape the local discourse in our community to move towards a more resilient and sustainable society. TEDxLahore is a platform for the community by the community”.
Apart from taking numerous initiatives to promote nature conservation, ecosystem management and sustainable practices, WWF-Pakistan promotes innovative ideas to tackle the environment issues of today. It regularly funds projects and research submitted through its Small Grants Programme as well as the Green Innovation Challenge. Through the partnership, it also aims to highlight the good work that is already taking place in the country and to encourage other innovators and change makers to come forward.
More on Journey
COCA-COLA& WWF PAKISTAN LAUNCH THEIR FIRST ‘PLASTIC HUT’ IN LAHORE
World Water Day 2018:
Coca-Colareturned 60 million liters of water to nature and communities in Pakistan
- Coca-Cola Pakistan rolls out #BeachesWithoutWaste on International Coastal Clean-up Day
- Enter Now! The Dasani Discovery Challenge is open!
- The Dasani Discovery Challenge Top 3 Winners Will Be Announced Soon!